Frequently Asked Questions
When can I apply for residency?
The open calls for both the FCINY's independent residency program, and residencies at the ISCP in 2019 run from April 3 to 29, 2018.
The deadline for applications is strict: send your application by midnight on April 29th (5pm NYC time).
Is the residency fully funded?
- The Finnish Cultural Institute’s own residency program is subsidized but not fully funded. The residency comes with a furnished apartment and the support of the Institute’s Residency Manager before, during and after the residency. Our Residency Manager will contact each selected resident artist / designer / architect well in advance to work on a plan to get the most out of the residency period in New York. The artists are in charge of their travel and living costs in New York and are charged a residency fee of 500 USD for 1 month, 800 USD for 2 months and 1000 USD for 3 months. The selected artists / architects / designers are encouraged to apply for funding to cover the costs of the residency.
- The residencies at ISCP are fully funded through a grant from the Alfred Kordelin Foundation. The grant covers housing, ISCP’s residency fee, and a stipend towards living expenses and travel and visa costs.
Who can apply?
- For the FCINY’s independent residency program, all members of Finnish Associations for Designers (Ornamo), Architects (SAFA) and Artists (STS), are eligible to apply. For the Artists' Association of Finland (STS), your membership comes through one of their member organizations: http://artists.fi/en/seura/jasenjarjestot/. Members of all STS’s sub-associations are welcome to apply.
- For the residencies at ISCP, we welcome applications from all professional visual artist based in Finland. The residency is aimed at artists in early or mid stages of their careers.
Visual artists are welcome to apply for both residency programs.
I was artist-in-residence at the Finnish Cultural Institute before, may I apply again?
Yes you can!
For ISCP, we will open a call for alumni residencies in Spring 2018.
When do you announce the selections?
All applicants will be notified about the selection during the month of June.
How long are the residencies and what kind of work are they meant for?
- The FCINY residencies for designers, architects and artists are meant for artistic research, creative work, and networking. The institute grants residencies for 1-3 months at a time. To get the most out of your residency, we prefer 2-3-month residencies as it takes time to get settled and started in New York. As an exception, we may grant 1-month residencies for specific projects.
- For the ISCP residency, two artists will be chosen for 6-month residencies in 2019. The residency period is either January-June or July-December. When applying, please specify which period works for you. The ISCP residency comes with a studio space that allows for various kinds of practices.
Is the residency apartment suitable for artistic work?
- The FCINY residency apartments are suitable for research and computer based artistic work. If you are interested in renting a studio space in New York, please contact our Residency Manager.
- The ISCP Residency program provides the artist with studio space at the ISCP.
Is the institute’s office located next to the residency apartments?
- The Institute’s office is located in downtown Manhattan, in NoHo. The FCINY residency apartments are in upper Manhattan, in North Harlem’s Sugar Hill. The area is peaceful and has great connections to other parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
- The ISCP residency apartment is located in East Williamsburg, close to ISCP.
How are the apartments equipped?
The apartments are either studio or one bedroom apartments and fully furnished. The apartments are equipped with basic kitchen ware and tools, bedsheets, towels, a hair dryer etc. There is a mobile phone allocated to the residents that a local sim card can be bought for. There are no TV’s in the apartments.
The apartments are professionally cleaned between residencies, but during your residency you are in charge of keeping the apartment in good shape.
We encourage newly selected residency artists to join our residency facebook group (FCINY Residency) and exchange experiences and hints about the residency, the apartments and the neighbourhood.
May I bring my family, a friend, or an assistant along?
The residency apartments house two people comfortably. They are meant for the accommodation of the artists-in-residence. Immediate family members and co-artists may stay in the apartment. Accommodation of any visitors must be arranged separately.
Are there other options for residencies in New York or The United States?
These are some of the other residency programs in New York City:
For residency programs in the United States, please consult the following websites: